Friday, October 28, 2005

Researchin' On

As is always the way, while I was working on my lit review I stumbled across a couple of great new sources (books of course) and some OhioLink things finally came in, so I handed in a review I already expect to change/augment. Two new sources are from Gunther Kress - his work is becoming so important to my own. One book is Literacy in a Digital Age and the second is about literacy and images. Both are right up my alley.

My wonderful group was very helpful at our meeting yesterday. I got several names from Robin and continue to plan to add a Web source or two at the suggesting of James. Robin also really helped me see that I had tried to force in a study that didn't really fit. It's hard when you fall in love with findings and they don't really work. I'll put that study away for later - dissertation here I come.

I plan to spend some time trying to really focus my topic and reserach design. I fell that my literature review was a bit broad. I think I was finding things that fit my diss idea really well, but are beyond the scope of the project at hand. I'll be curious to see what others say.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

Hi Jen: Part of the issue involving the broadness of your review is perhaps the inclusion of bodies of literature that fold visual literacy into other literate forms, including technological literacy. Of course, they certainly do intersect, but for the purposes of your study, you can focus or operationally define visual literacy and more commonly visual rhetoric to realign the literature review with sources in rhetoric and writing and even with technical communication that may help to foster the classroom curriculum that meets your pedagogical and political goals, given that visual rhetoric, both in the context of yours and Robin's projects in particular, is very closely connected to civic education.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Mr. Happy said...

Well, having just learned that you're currently refocusing your project now (current time: 7:09pm), I'm not that sure what to put in this particular comment box, besides an elongated sentence with far too many words (think Shakespeare: "signifying nothing").

Will civic education play a part in your current research? Or is that a question for your dissertation?

4:12 PM  
Blogger Norman said...

"Kentucky Jen keeps falling down" I sing this to the tune of Kentucky Rain everytime I read your blog. yay Elvis. Anyway, let me know if I can help you. Ican chat over Margaritas anytime

4:32 PM  
Blogger Norman said...

OK Jen, try looking at Kress's The Grammar of Visual Design. It's co authored with Theo can Leuwen, I think.

And the textbook I was talking about on Wed pm was Writing in a Visual Age.

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home